Thursday, March 31, 2011

Zesty Mexican Soup

A little too zesty...

Although this meal was very tasty, very easy, and very budget friendly, it was also very spicy, at least for most of the family, including my 2-year-old. It was pretty much my fault because I used medium salsa instead of mild. This soup will be in our repertoire, just not with medium salsa!

Kid friendly?
Well, it was a bit too spicy for my 2 year-old but my 9 year-old still enjoyed it. He just couldn't finish it because of the spiciness.

Preparation-Time?
This meal took pretty much zero prep time. I had some leftover chicken from the quesadillas and the rest is all canned things except for the chopped cilantro which was super quick to chop. I would definitely not forgo the cilantro because it was the soup maker for me.

Easy on the pennies?
A very cheap meal, I always have chicken and everything else is not expensive at all. Despite it's cheap ingredients it was still very healthy which is great!



Easy Chicken-Mushroom Quesadillas
Copyright Eat Better America

Prep Time:
5-10 min

Cook Time:
20 min

Serves:
6 servings (of 1 cup each)

Ingredients
· 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
· 1 can (14 oz) Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth)
· 1 can (11.5 oz) vegetable juice cocktail
· 1 can (15.5 oz) Green Giant® whole kernel corn, drained
· 1 cup Muir Glen® organic salsa (any flavor)
· 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
· 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

The simple and straightforward directions:
In 3-quart saucepan, mix all ingredients except cilantro. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment