Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lemon Garlic Tilapia

Day 2 of my quest:
While it took more than 30-minutes start to finish, this one was a definite success!  


Lemon Garlic Tilapia - photo by pinkpotatochips
The lemon garlic tilapia was delicious and super easy.  I paired it with some brown rice and steamed veggies… so tasty! 

Kid Friendly?
My 2 year-old ate some of it and our foster son said for non-fried fish it was good, although fish in general is not his favorite.  But, he ate it and gave it a semi-compliment which is good enough for me.  He is not used to eating anything healthy and pretty much being able to say he didn’t want something and eating chips instead.  So, him clearing his plate without too much complaining is good enough for me!  I would certainly deem this kid friendly.

Preparation-Time?
There was barely any prep time at all!  Just thaw the tilapia, chop up some garlic, squeeze some lemons, melt some butter, and viola after 30 minutes of baking you have some healthy, delicious fish!  As far as the rice is concerned, I put 2 cups of brown rice and 3 cups of water into my rice cooker (which I seriously could not survive without) and it was finished about the same time as the fish. I used a bag of frozen veggies that I could steam in the microwave.  So basically, I used about 10 minutes of my time to make a wonderful, well-balanced meal that my family enjoyed.

Was it easy on the pennies?
As far as fish goes, tilapia is definitely one of the most budget friendly and the rest of the ingredients are very simple and did not cost much at all.  I used frozen tilapia which is cheaper then fresh but tasted great.  One way you could cut the cost down is to use the bottled lemon juice instead of fresh lemon juice, although lemons are not super expensive so either way it is not very costly.



Lemon Garlic Tilapia
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.com
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-Garlic-Tilapia/Detail.aspx

Prep Time:
10 min

Cook Time:
30 min

Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients
  • 4 tilapia fillets (I used 6)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (I used 2 cloves… I love garlic!)
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes  
  • pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Rinse tilapia fillets under cool water, and pat dry with paper towels.  Place fillets in baking dish. Pour lemon juice over fillets, then drizzle butter on top. Sprinkle with garlic, parsley, and pepper.  Bake in preheated oven until the fish is white and flakes when pulled apart with a fork, about 30 minutes.



Final thoughts:
I don’t think I would do anything differently for this recipe, except maybe try the bottled lemon juice instead of fresh just to save the extra little bit of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment