Friday, April 29, 2011

Craziness... and a bit of Cookin with Creamy Chili Corn Chicken

Ok so to my few followers I apologize for my slackerish ways... I know that is not really a word but hey, you get the picture!  To be honest I haven't been cooking much lately due to date nights, no a/c, friends, mystery shops, and just plain old exhaustion!  But, I have made a few meals so let me tell you about one of them today and will continue to tell you about them for the next week.  So, the recipe I will highlight today is Creamy Chili Corn Chicken.  Josh and I really liked this meal, but it will probably not be a staple in our home... our 9 year old was not to keen on it at all!

Kid friendly?
Well... it was not accepted by our 9 year old, although our 2 year old ate it up.  I think that this could be a kid friendly meal if you are not dealing with the pickiest child on the planet like I am.  He didn't like it because he doesn't like corn or chilies... so it pretty much was a bust with him.  He didn't even really eat it at all.  But my 2 year old ate it up so it is half and half!

Preparation-time?
This recipe is a little more involved time-wise but not horrible.  I think it took about 45 minutes start to finish.  You have to chop an onion, cut the defrosted chicken, use some egg whites to make the coating, etc.  But i thought it was well worth it.

Easy on the pennies?
Yes this meal was budget friendly!  There were a few items that I had to pick up such as corn oil, chili powder, and cornmeal but that was because I was out of them.  So, if those are regular staples in your house then this meal really won't cost much at all.



Creamy Chili Corn Chicken

Ingredients:

2 egg whites
2 Tablespoons water
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
6 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
½ cup cornmeal
¼ cup corn oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 (4 ounce) jars chopped green chiles
1 (15 ounce) can Mexican style corn or 1 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
2 cups queso fresco or low fat plain yogurt (I used yogurt)
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

  1. Combine the egg whites, water, salt, and chili powder in a large bowl and whisk until frothy. Cut each chicken breast cross wise into 4 strips and add to the bowl with the egg whites. Toss to coat.
  2. Place the cornmeal in a zip-top plastic bag. Add one-third of the chicken strips, seal, and shake to coat. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.
  3. Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken on both sides in batches, 4 minutes each batch, adding more oil as needed. Remove the chicken to a paper towel lined baking sheet as it browns. Add the onion and sauté until soft, 5 minutes.
  4. Spoon off the oil from the pan. Add the chilies and their juices and heat until boiling. Add the corn and any juices and heat through. Add the chicken and stir in the quest fresco. Heat to simmering but do not boil.
  5. Stir in the cilantro. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment